Every day we consume resources to carry out our daily activities, and during this process we generate 1.4 kg of waste per person per day in Barcelona. We can help in its reduction and recovery by following the criteria of the 4R:
- Reduce the amount of waste we generate. For example, by using cloth bags or baskets to go shopping.
- Recycle or transform waste to produce new products. To facilitate recycling, it is necessary to sort waste correctly, using the different containers.
- Reclaim waste to give it another use. For example, using glass bottles as water jugs.
- Rethink our daily habits and attitudes and consume responsibly. For example, rent or borrow what you use occasionally, such as skis, child seats, books, movies, fancy dress, etc.
Consumers have a very important role to play. If we apply these criteria and sort waste properly we can:
- Save on raw materials: resources, water and energy
- Reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills and incinerators
- Reduce emissions of pollutant gases and greenhouse gases
- Save money by optimising management processes
- Protect the environment and improve our quality of life
Good habits bring great rewards.
Each thing in its place